Friday, July 10, 2009

Today is the day I start a blog about my peeps

















So yeah, I have 5 laying hens:

Barb
Betty
Jimmy
Sookie
Ronald Reagan

They are 3 months old.



I bought them from Meyer Hatchery:

They are Ameraucana Standard females. I paid $2.70 each.
They were sent to my house via UPS. Unreal, huh?

So I picked this breed for their temperment, egg color and well, they just seem to be an all around good egg laying bird for a hobby farmer like myself.

This is their description:
Colored Egg Layer. These birds are excellent layers and produce eggs that range from olive green to turquise blue. This hardy breed was developed in the U.S. in the 1970's using Araucana birds from South America. Like their eggs, they come in as assortment of colors. They are favored for their eggs, but are large enough to be used for meat. Average mature weight: roosters 5 lbs, hens 4 lbs.

So... let me get this blog thing set up before I start writing a ton of stuff already!

;)
Cheers,
Jamie




4 comments:

  1. Hi. How are the hens? Do you have eggs yet? Do they stay out all winter in A-frame house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hens are great! This whole BLOG thing is so new to me... but I think I could really enjoy it. We should have our FIRST eggs next weekend! Yes, they will stay out all winter. They have their little house to live in.
    Thanks for writing!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the photos of the eggs. I hope you get a colorful shell and vibrant orange yolks. Keep me posted I really think we might give chickens a try next spring.

    ReplyDelete